sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO Release Procedure

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO Release Procedure
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:03:11 +0100

> 1. Test ISOs are released by an ISO Team member (preferrably the one
> working on
> that release, e.g. Benoit for the 0.9.4 -test series) and posted to
> testing/ on
> http://download.sourcemage.org/iso/ and announced to sm-discuss only (not
> sm-announce).
Good, we're doing that.

> 2. Once a test ISO looks like it's getting ready for a final release, a Team
> Lead (ISO Team Lead or Project Lead) will use the scripts in
> //sgl/cauldron/devel to generate an -rc release for further testing (the
> first
> -rc, -rc1, should be an exact copy of the last -test release) and announce
> sm-discuss and sm-announce (as well as posting to the testing/ directory).
Erm, there's a little problem there. As of yet, (AFAIK), the ISO does not
solely depend on the scripts used in the creation of it, but some handcraft
is needed to make and maintain the chroot from which is it made.
This means that bugs like 7993 or 7279 keep getting on if one is not careful.
So for the meantime, maybe those people who pushed out the test release
should also release the rc.

> 3. Once an -rc is labeled as "bug free" (in that we get no more reports) a
> Team
> Lead (ISO Team Lead or Project Lead) will use the scripts in
> //sgl/cauldron/stable (which will be branched from //sgl/cauldron/devel into
> //sgl/cauldron/stable and //sgl/cauldron/release/<version> [e.g.
> //sgl/cauldron/release/0.9.4/]) to generate a final release, post to
> http://download.sourcemage.org/iso/ and announce to sm-discuss, sm-announce,
> distrowatch.com, and any others we can think of.
Good, so we'll keep archives of what we created the ISOs of.

> And just to be clear on what's happening now we're currently focusing on
> using
> the scripts in //sgl/cauldron/devel (the scripts currently maintained by
> Benoit) to put out a 0.9.4 ISO (with all the bugs fixed from 0.9.3, along
> with
> any others found during the 0.9.4 -test series) and once a 0.9.4 final is
> out
> we can start looking into the -ng series (Karsten's work) and bringing in
> the
> modular smgl.install (David's work).
Okay, I'll bring davids work into the ng series as soon as it's semi-ready
(meaning about as stable as the current smgl.install - not too much)
David, please give me a call when that is.

So Far,
Karsten