sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] x86/ppc/x86_64 test ISO available

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Eric Schabell <eric AT schabell.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] x86/ppc/x86_64 test ISO available
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:46:51 +0100

Eric Schabell a écrit :
Howdy Benoit,

Nice work, one question:

- x86_64 specific : the ISO and the installed system are bi-arch.
This mean that you can run both 32 bits and 64 bits binaries.

What does this mean, if and when I do a 64 bit installation, then I can
choose when compiling (installing) new spells whether I want them
32/64bit? I have never used the 64 bit yet (waiting for your iso's!) so
not sure what this means.

Thanks,
erics

Hi Eric,

You can "run" 32 bis and 64 bits binaries (for instance, you can copy binaries compiled on a 32 bits machine only and it will work).

You can also "compile" source code to produce 32 bits or 64 bits binaries or both (here is the true bi-arch). However, the decision is up to the software you are compiling and to the CFLAGS you are using.

For instance, the grub source code cannot be compiled in 64 bits mode and the source code itself add the needed flags to be compiled in 32 bits mode (ie -m32).

Another example would be glibc, glibc is needed by almost every binaries Hence, here, you need to compile both in 32 bits and 64 bits mode. (64 bits binaries will automatically use the 64 bits glibc libraries, same for 32 bits).

But, in most cases, and with the current stable sorcery, binaries will just be compiled as 64 bits binaries, which is just fine. I've not tried (since i've no 64 bits machine at home) to configure sorcery with "i686" for instance on a sourcemage 64 bits.

Hope it answers your question.
Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru