sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Spells
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:00:08 -0800

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 03:05:13PM +1300, Duane Malcolm wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This thread and past experience has made me think about an idea. I have
> noticed in the past if some spell is outdated or the new version in the
> grimoire doesn't work I could change the version number (VERSION=?? in
> teh DETAILS file) and more times than not, it'll work. So I'm thinking
> how about "cast nvidia_driver -v 6629" or "cast nvidia_driver:6629"
> where the version would be subsitituted for "6629". This should be a
> advanced feature with a warning that there is no support for cast
> failures. It merely allows someone to easily downgrade. It can also be
> useful in debugging, maybe?
>
> I know we have a feature hold. But I thought I should put the idea out
> there.

I think this is what local grimoires solve, but in a more general
way. The problem with giving a version directly to cast is that it gets
used exactly once, then on updates sorcery will see the version in the
spell and think you need to update to the old version, I guess then you
hold the spell. But you'd get the same functionality by having a local
grimoire without cast having to carry this extra custom version baggage
with it. I think it'd be better and more elegant to enhance the scribbler
tool to do (more of) this since then you'd have the whole spell to
modify and thus, it would work with a larger range of spells. Plus it
facilitates writing/enhancing/updating spells, which helps out our busy
guru's. Just my thoughts.

-Andrew