sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Spells
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:05:13 +1300

Hi all,

This thread and past experience has made me think about an idea. I have noticed in the past if some spell is outdated or the new version in the grimoire doesn't work I could change the version number (VERSION=?? in teh DETAILS file) and more times than not, it'll work. So I'm thinking how about "cast nvidia_driver -v 6629" or "cast nvidia_driver:6629" where the version would be subsitituted for "6629". This should be a advanced feature with a warning that there is no support for cast failures. It merely allows someone to easily downgrade. It can also be useful in debugging, maybe?

I know we have a feature hold. But I thought I should put the idea out there.

Cheers, Duane.

Eric Sandall wrote:
Quoting Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>:
<snip>

Yes I think it would be a good thing, because if with 6629 we have problems
with TNT2 cards, 6111 has no support for latest chipset like GeForceFX 6600.

So we do exclude people in one or another way. So it would be better to give
the choice to the user.

But just a technical question : which version will the spell be tagged in the
grimoire ??? ;-p

For 3D accelerated drivers I don't think we should worry /too/ much about
supporting older cards at the expense of newer ones, but if people want to
make
the spell work for either that'd be great. :) I, personally, would prefer the
latest drivers to be default (I have a GeForce FX 5600 ;)).

-sandalle