sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] ISO generation scripts version 0.9.3

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation scripts version 0.9.3
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:00:27 +0100

Hi all,

I have just corrected a mistake I've done when releasing the 0.9.3 ISO: I put the wrong version of the scripts I used to generate the 0.9.3 ISO.
This is now corrected (Thanks to BearPerson for reporting the issue).

Those scripts are available to all people having a perforce access.
They are available under //sgl/devel/cauldron/devel/iso/generation-scripts/scripts.

For people that wants to make their own ISO, I added a short README file containing the instructions (included in this email). Be aware that so far, those scripts have been used only by ISO guru (me, low, Unet, hgg, de_Moya) to release all the ISO from 0.6 on, but were not intended for newbies.

Comments are welcome :-)
Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru
2005-01-17 Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>

Building the 0.9.3 ISO:
-----------------------

This is a step by step instructions on how the 0.9.3 ISO has been built,
both on x86 and ppc architecture.

- you need a working chroot system in $IMAGE
export IMAGE=/Your/Chroot

- you need to have sorcery-stable.tar.bz2 (sorcery)
and stable.tar.bz2 in the current directory (grimoire).
They are later needed by mk-iso-root. You can download
everything with:
./mk-init

- create a work/initrd directory
mkdir -p work/initrd

- create the initrd image
./mk-initrd

- this will create a work/initrd.gz which will be used later

- create a work/iso_root directory
mkdir -p work/iso_root

- create the ISO content
./mk-iso-root

- this script display the architecture it is using (i386 or ppc)
- this script will carefully check that all needed spells are in the chroot
and will use the version currently installed in the chroot
- at the end, the directory work/iso_root is populated and ready

- create the ISO image
./mk-iso

- this script will produce a iso/smgl-0.9.3-i386.iso
file ready for burning
- the version can be change in the "config" file.