sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] new linux spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] new linux spell
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:36:25 -0800

On Monday 20 December 2004 2:05 am, Wolfgang Scheicher wrote:

> For my part, i find a lot of stuff i like in the new spell, but also there
> are some things i don't like or i think that they will cause problems. But
> i might be wrong.
> For example i really like the "Old tree/new tree" question at the
> beginning. Very good idea.

I like the old tree idea as well. If I'm doing minor tweaks to a kernel to
fine-tune the options and/or modules/drivers which are available, it is a
quicker compile than to recompile the source every time.

> *) The Number of Files
> The spell does currently support a view -ac -mm -rc versions and the
> bootsplash patch, and allready has ~150 files. i didn't first think this is
> growing that fast, but this really is a lot. I wonder if this is
> acceptable, or if it's too much.
>
> However, i do think that it's a good idea to do a seperate file for every
> patch version of other patches ( other than -pre, -ac, -mm, ... - like
> bootspash, openmosix, bluez ,...) That part is a mess in my old design.

I would think that a singe file for each patch, which includes the various
revision levels for that patch, would be a good compromise.

> *) Updating,...
> I'm wondering if it's really a good idea to hardcode every version you want
> to build. I think: if one wants a old version, he knows which one he wants.
> Also sometimes one just reads a new kernel announcement and wants to build
> it without waiting for the spell being updated. So, what does the Community
> say? ( I actually ponder if we eaven could additionally get info about
> current kernel directly from kernel.org )

I like the idea of being able to quickly and easily select a kernel version
that I believe at least one person has tried and tested before me. :^) I do
agree, however, that it would be a nice feature to be able to manually select
the kernel version to compile (which I thought was already a feature of the
old linux spell).

> *) download integrity checking
> kernel.org has most stuff gpg signed. the old linux spell used that where
> possible, but this is something that should go into sorcery. the new spell
> doesn't yet support this in any way, but i think we should not waste time
> hacking gpg support into the spell again, but focus on getting it into
> sorcery, and then using it in the linux spell.

I have no opinion here. I'm not even close to a security expert (nor do I
play one on television), so I'll bow to those who have a clue in this area.

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)