sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] new linux spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] new linux spell
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:17:23 +0100

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:14:02 +0100
Bas van Gils <Bas.vanGils AT cs.ru.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 11:05:01AM +0100, Wolfgang Scheicher wrote:
> > *) Updating,...
> > I'm wondering if it's really a good idea to hardcode every version you
> > want
> > build. I think: if one wants a old version, he knows which one he wants.
> > Also
> > sometimes one just reads a new kernel announcement and wants to build it
> > without waiting for the spell being updated. So, what does the Community
> > say?
> > ( I actually ponder if we eaven could additionally get info about current
> > kernel directly from kernel.org )
>
> Well... I kind of like the fact that I can pick a version from a list :-)
> I'd
> vote for keeping that in the spell..
>
> Cheers
>
> Bas

same here, and besides, the way the spell is now, i can summon the sources and
then build the kernel on my laptop without a Net connection. That would
probably
break if the spell starts checking for the latest version on cast...

As for the patches, they mostly go with specific kernel versions. So those
kernels should be in a list anyway i guess.

My 2 cents :)

Arjan

> --
> <Bas.vanGils AT cs.ru.nl> - GPG Key ID: 2768A493 - http://www.cs.ru.nl/~basvg
> Radboud University Nijmegen Institute for Computing and Information Sciences

+=======
Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.
http://www.sourcemage.org

GPG key-ID = 79D4B14E
Fingerprint = 94AD 3FD1 E259 67ED 632E 2B06 CFBE 1154 79D4 B14E

Registered as user #310617 with the Linux Counter,
http://counter.li.org.
+===