sm-discuss - Re: Sorcery mirroring (Was: Re: [SM-Discuss] Don't updated todays [snip] sorcery)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Bas van Gils <Bas.vanGils AT cs.ru.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Sorcery mirroring (Was: Re: [SM-Discuss] Don't updated todays [snip] sorcery)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:12:37 +0100

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 10:22:16AM -0800, Andrew wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 07:15:53PM +0100, Eric Schabell wrote:
> > So as we see again, even when you get what you want, it ain't enough...
>
> If you had read my emails on this topic you would have noticed that i
> pointed out that I would need to have access to the mirrors. If nothing
> else because of the way mirroring is done. Im sorry you cannot comphrehend
> my explaination of the security risks inherent in letting just anyone
> be a mirror.

It's been a while since I read Andrew's message on the security risks
involved. Unfortuantely I don't have the time to search through the archive to
re-read it but... eventhough I'm not an expert I can't help but wonder:
suppose we *do* have sorcery mirrors, despite the security risks involved.
Isn't it the responsibility of individual users to *pick* a mirror over the
default download location for sorcery?

The point is: on my box, *I* am responsible for security (i.e. firewall,
patches of ssh etcetera). *I* pick which software I install and *I* choose
which grimoire from which location I download. why not sorcery?

Perhaps I misunderstood Andrews post but these are my five cents..

> But again, take your flames elsewhere.

Quit the bickering. Eric (hay have) had a good point.

Bas

--
<Bas.vanGils AT cs.ru.nl> - GPG Key ID: 2768A493 - http://www.cs.ru.nl/~basvg
Radboud University Nijmegen Institute for Computing and Information Sciences