sm-discuss - RE: Re: [SM-Discuss] Postfix users beware!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: Re: [SM-Discuss] Postfix users beware!
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 11:43:51 -0700

Quoting evraire AT tuwg.com:
> Perhaps printing out a warning at the end of the cast might be sufficient
> enough? On the other hand, I believe the reason we don't generally restart
> services is because if something goes wrong, the service will become
> unavailable. In this case, even when everything goes right the service
> becomes unavailable, so you have nothing to lose. I guess that's not
> completely true: mail still was retrieved, just sent to the corrupted file.
>
> What do people think?

I don't think we should even bother with a message since any package with an
init script would have to be modified, whereas restarting should be done by
the
admin only and he/she should know when to or not to restart. As Seth said
we've
already tried having the init scripts restarted from the spell and it caused
more problems than not. To add an option everywhere for the few cases where
it's needed sounds overkill to me.

-sandalle