sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] AMD 64

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: wandre.l AT free.fr
  • To: "Jeremy A. Kolb" <jkolb AT brandeis.edu>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] AMD 64
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:58:27 +0200

Selon "Jeremy A. Kolb" <jkolb AT brandeis.edu>:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Jose Bernardo Silva wrote:
>
> > Jeremy,
> >
> > It doesn't - yet. I was thinking on having my amd64 run native, with a
> > chrooted env like debian so I could still run "neverwinter nights", but
> still
> > haven't had the time to properly investigate it. Low has also been trying
> > boot in 64 bits.
> >

> Hm. But is it possible to install native 64? Ew, I'd hate to have to have
> 2 installs for it. I wonder what other distributions are doing to handle
> it.
>
> Jeremy

Hello smglers !

Here is a little report about amd64 & SMGL.

Biggest problems are gcc and glibc. I've tried using install_root feature,
i've had time to try almost all spells in basesystem. gcc and glibc fail.
others are ok.
Now, i'm working with benoit, using scripts used quite a while ago to create
isos. same problems, gcc and glibc fail. We've found some options to add to
configure for amd64. hopefully, we'll have something (almost) working next
week.
The thing is:
1) we'll have a special iso for amd64 to get 64 bits mode from the beginning.
2) if we can get amd64 support inside spells without having to maintain a
special amd64 grimoire (i hope so, or that would really be a pain, something
like what is already done for ppc afaik), that'd mean we could be able to have
a 32 bits system and convert it on the fly to 64.
BUT, we would need to find a way to get the cpu switch from 32 bits mode to
64,
and i'm afraid that is not possible without a reboot. Moreover i let you
imagine problems you'll encounter converting gcc and all to 64 bits elf,
while cpu is running 32 bits mode...
That's all i can say for now. So, to sum up a bit, next week we should have a
native a64 basesystem, and possibly an alpha testing iso. next, we'll have to
test others spells...
best regards,
low