sm-discuss - RE: RE: Re: [SM-Discuss] Persistence wiki

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: evraire AT tuwg.com
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: RE: Re: [SM-Discuss] Persistence wiki
  • Date: 24 Aug 2004 12:30:17 -0000

Hello again,

Eric Sandalle said:
> Instead of using a command, would manually adding your flags to a variable
> (say
> CONF_OPTS ;)) be okay? I don't think we'd need an entire function when we
> could
> just append to a variable defined for this (since the function would
> probably
> just do the same thing internally).

I agree that appending to a variable or using a command would be
functionally equivalent. The point I was trying to make is that reserved
variable names with special meaning are a bit sloppy and require more
knowledge on the part of spell writers, even those that do not use the
functionality. (One must be sure not to accidentally use this variable for a
purpose other than what it was designated for, but if you didn't even know
this variable name was reserved how could you do that?) That was why I
proposed a command: a cleaner interface, and there's no chance of
accidentally using the command for something else.

In the end, while I still feel the API would be cleaner and less error
prone, I don't feel strong enough about it either way and will leave it up to
the experts. (Ie: not me :)

Jonathan Evraire
evraire at tuwg.com

Message sent via http://toad-mail.net
Anti-spam notice, this message originated from IP Address: 199.212.215.11