sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] xine no text in menus

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Rohan NIcholls <rohan.nicholls AT pareto.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] xine no text in menus
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:40:53 +0200

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:00:57 -0700
Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:

> Quoting ner0x <ne00xide AT gmail.com>:
> > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:24:33 +0200, Rohan Nicholls
> > <rohan.nicholls AT pareto.nl> wrote:
> > > I don't know if anyone has run into this but I have installed
> > > xine, but when I use a menu or a message pops up there is space
> > > but no text.
> > >
> > > I had a similar problem with ayttm, where the text showed up in
> > > the typing area but when you sent it nothing showed up in the
> > > display area.
> > > I managed to fix this by changing the font (luckily the menus
> > > were in
> > > a seeable font).
> > >
> > > I have tried messing the the .xinerc but with no luck.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> <snip>
> > I came into this problem a while ago and could never get it fixed.
> > If you or anyone else can fix it that would be so great. All I know
> > is that the xine-ui spell worked for others but when I cast it my
> > menu's had no text either.
>
> Perhaps your fonts are somehow messed up? Do any other applications
> exhibit this behaviour? One way I've found to fix font problems
> (though this is usually across the board font problems, not a specific
> application's) is to do `rm -rf/etc/fonts; cast -r -c fontconfig
> freetype2`.

Thanks for this it has helped, however now I can see the capital
letters of each element on the list, but nothing else. Does anyone
have an idea of where to tell xine what fonts to use? There is only
one setting in the .xine/config file and it does not do anything.

thanks again,

Rohan

--

Rohan Nicholls