sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] emacs not using X

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls AT pareto.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] emacs not using X
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:37:48 +0200

Hey there all,

I am having a problem with emacs and X. It is installed and running happily, but something seems to be missing....

Whenever I call emacs it does not recognize that there is an X session.

Checking $DISPLAY gives 0:0

but if I check the variable window-system it comes up nil (the value if you are displaying in a terminal). None of the other programs have this problem, has anyone run into this before and found a fix for it. (I have googled around and come up with nothing).

I also ssh into another server and it happily uses X when I call emacs on my machine.

Any help would be much appreciated, as the terminal is a bit of a pain to use (screws up keybindings, horrible colours for syntax etc.).

Thanks,

Rohan