sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] emacs not using X

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls AT pareto.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] emacs not using X
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:27:45 +0200

I have made some progress with this, and it seems that emacs in the config file is not finding X,

What window system should Emacs use? none
What toolkit should Emacs use? none
Where do we find X Windows header files? NONE
Where do we find X Windows libraries? NONE

And there are references earlier that it can' t find the X stuff,

checking for X... no
checking for XFree86 in /usr/X386... no

Does anyone know what might be missing? From what I can see the X files are in the standard place and firefox happily compiled and installed, and is working perfectly, so I am not sure what might be the problem.

TIA,

Rohan
Rohan Nicholls wrote:
Hey there all,

I am having a problem with emacs and X. It is installed and running happily, but something seems to be missing....

Whenever I call emacs it does not recognize that there is an X session.

Checking $DISPLAY gives 0:0

but if I check the variable window-system it comes up nil (the value if you are displaying in a terminal). None of the other programs have this problem, has anyone run into this before and found a fix for it. (I have googled around and come up with nothing).

I also ssh into another server and it happily uses X when I call emacs on my machine.

Any help would be much appreciated, as the terminal is a bit of a pain to use (screws up keybindings, horrible colours for syntax etc.).

Thanks,

Rohan