sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] statically linked bash?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Damien Mascord <tusker AT tusker.org>
  • To: Jackson Alley <jalley AT toomanymirrors.homelinux.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] statically linked bash?
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:00:33 +0800

Jackson Alley wrote:
Do we have a list of what spells will install staticly? I've had several
users ask me what can be installed staticly and if there is a way to have a
spell always compile staticly w/o having to use the sorcery option?

Sorcery option ? There is a sorcery option? :)

The only way that I've done it is by adding stuff to the "configure options" (ie, --static, or --enable-static, or whatever the particular spell uses).

Since static things require other static things, it really makes depedancy stuff quite ugly, since you have to figure it out yourself.

Ideally, I would really like a "static" flag, that can be used within depends, so that you can build a particular spell as static, and it will build all the "dependancies above it" as static as well.

Each spell would have to be modified that allows a static build, and slowly change all the spells to be able to build in a static (and shared) way.

Anyway, hope what I am saying is clear to some degree, or at least opaque.

Damien

--
Damien Mascord (tusker at tusker dot org)
GPG key 2CB181BE / 93B2 EF21 0C7C F022 F467 7966 219E 92B3 2CB1 81BE