sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Bash 3.0

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Bash 3.0
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:46:37 -0700

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 12:08:41AM +0200, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 01:47:28PM -0400,
> dufflebunk AT pizzaz.wite3.on.cogeco.ca wrote:
> > Bash v3.0 is out [0]. It includes nice things like:
> > o The `[[' command can now perform extended regular expression
> > (egrep-like) matching, with matched subexpressions placed in the
> > BASH_REMATCH array variable
> > o Features to support the bash debugger have been implemented, and there
> > is a new `extdebug' option to turn the non-default options on
> >
> > When should we consider switching to it?
>
> Whenever the sorcery team says that it doesn't break anything. It's in
> the devel grimoire.

Its going to likely be a while before we start using any new features
as most systems will be on 2.x until they update and it would be
pointless, sorcery would stop working for them and then they couldnt
update to fix the problem. We'll probably have a long period of just
using features which are compatible with the 2.x series to give people
plenty of time to update bash.

As for when bash 3.0 will move to test/stable, I would recommend that
we first assess what changes we need to make in sorcery, implement them,
test them, and then get them into a stable release.

Im not familiar with the differences yet so I cannot make an assesment
right now as to how much work there is. Paul do you have a better idea
what needs to be done?

The timeframe obviously will depend on how much work we have to do,
and how stable bash 3.0 is.

Im going to make the very high level statement that this is going to be
a very slow and careful transition.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |