sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] freetype2 and firefox

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] freetype2 and firefox
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:52:49 -0700

Quoting Jose Bernardo Silva <jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com>:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:05:00 +0000, Robin Cook wrote
> > Still having a problem with whatever it is on my work machine that's
> > causing mozilla to hang. I got firefox and freetype2 from the devel
> > grimoire and compiled them on my work machine. Firefox gets to the same
> > place mozilla hangs and gets and error of no child something then exits.
>
> That is one dumb bug that I've been unable to find much about yet... The
> workaround is to first run mozilla/firefox as root, then it should work for
> any user.

>From the Release Notes[0]:
Known Issues

This list covers some of the known problems with Firefox 0.9. Please read this
before reporting any new bugs, and watch it regularly (we'll update it as new
bugs are found in the release).

If Firefox 0.9 is placed in a location with limited access privileges, it
should
be run by a user with access to that location first, so that all initial
startup
files are generated. There may be issues still where if a restricted-access
user
is the first to run the app, these files may not be generated properly and
Firefox may enter an infinite restart loop. This will be fixed in a future
release.

-sandalle

[0] http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/