sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] list moderation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] list moderation
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:34:45 -0700

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 05:52:18PM +1000, Hamish Greig wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:37, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
> > Never attribute to malice...
> >
> > More than likely nobody's watching the moderated messages too closely.
> > They collect a lot of spam.
> >
> > I know you don't feel good about the project and feel everybody's out to
> > get you, but maybe taking things a bit more lightly is in order.
> >
> > Seriously, what would we gain from deleting yuor messages? By this
> > time, it's starting to get a bit old.
>
> I thought thats what I said.
> I guess I'll book myself in for an adult english class straight away, that
> might avoid future problems.

No, your degrading and conspiratorial antics are getting old. Nobody's
deleting your messages. If you aren't subscribed, chances are the
messages don't get through. In your study of our censorship, did you
send a control message, a test probe not associated to yourself so as to
see if there was really prejudicial malice? Of course not, it's not
particularly high on your agenda to undermine circumstances which would
indicate that the problem wasn't indeed simply laziness.

We've tried to build up a community of respect and rationality. As many
times as I've tried to reason with you, after a while, it just becomes
not worth it. One of the downfalls of being a member of a community is
you don't get to run it as you see fit. The group gets to plot the
course. If you don't like the speed of democracy, don't take it out on
the rest of the developers by spamming the lists with your accusatory
drivel.

There's only so much vengeful nonsense once can exude while plotting
against a long-time member of the community and the community itself
before it becomes unacceptable even for liberal folk. I'm asking you to
finally respect us our peace and voluntarily end your messages which at
this time have lost any meaning.

Perhaps it's a good thing people don't feel like deleting your presence.
It's becoming an excellent example of what not to do when you want to
enact change. To be honest, before you showed up, the atmosphere was a
lot more welcoming. But merit in one thing can be hurt by your
disrespect of a lot of developers that complained in secret of your lack
of etiquette in your disagreements. Things with you have simply gone
over the line of respectability.

In sum, please don't opportunistically extort our openness.

Seth