sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] mirror freshening; request for lost source files

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] mirror freshening; request for lost source files
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 12:38:32 -0700

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:04:44PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Jose Bernardo Silva <jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com>:
> > Seth,
> > Since the firmware status is still debatable it needs to be supplied by
> > the
> > user, as it says in the spell DETAILS. The prism54.org team has supplied
> > now
> > the firmware for direct download, but the licence hasn't been clarified
> > yet
> > -
> > and I think that the firmware files available there are only for the USA,
> > as
> > they don't allow using the european-only channels. We could add MD5 sums
> > for
> > all firmware files available in prism54.org, but I'd bet the ones that
> > come
> > in
> > the european driver CDs have different MD5 sums.
>
> Should that package be moved to z-rejected then?

I would say yes because the package is only useful if you use as yet
non-GPL-compatible code. If one can redistribute the firmware on our
mirrors, I'd still put it in z-rejected as well. Did we ever decide
what flag to put on non-redistributable sources for DETAILS?

Perhaps:

RESTRICTED[1]="non-redistributable due to license"

And I'd put all the different firmware versions in the DETAILS w/md5s
listed on the website and have the spell ask which one to rename and
use.

Seth

Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8 3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEF10E21A
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org