sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery Plans

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery Plans
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:31:28 -0700

Quoting Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:
> I apologize for my complete absense from the mailing lists the past two
> weeks, my isp blatently disconnected me and i've just now been able to
> get back online. Here's just an update to whats going on with sorcery
> right now:

Good ol' conglomerates...

> So right now I'm planning on getting a 1.10.1 stable release out. The
> main things that are fixed are some stability related things and
> bugs/complaints that have cropped up, as well as removing the temporary
> hack which all you all loved /so/ much, hopefully everyone's gotten a
> chance to cleanse their depends tree and cast isn't bailing out for no
> apparent reason, in otherwords you're on your own in terms of keeping
> your systems dependency tree clean (more on this later)...

Does this mean that a real upgrade-path has been implemented?

> Right now we've got a release candidate in the test sorcery branch. If
> you're on stable the easiest thing to do is change your sorcery branch
> to devel, update, then change it again to test. I'd like to get that
> release out by the end of the week. It would help a lot towards its
> stability if we can get as many willing people to sanity check test so
> we can have a more rock solid stable.

I'll test it on my laptop. It's really nice having an interim Sorcery to test,
rather than having to jump either from stable to the raw devel. ;)

> The current plan is to keep rolling out 1.10 releases and release
> candidates as bugs are discovered. After some amount of time we'll push
> those changes into a sorcery 1.10.x release. At the same time we'll
> keep developing new features for devel.

Release early, release often. :)

> The current set of major new work going into devel is:
> alter (yay swoolley!), alter will let you prelink/strip spells installed
> on your system, amoung other cool things.
> dufflebunk is re-writing some of the sorry old cast --fix code
> Ive got some code to only commit depends info to /var/state/sorcery/depends
> on spell success which should hopefully keep that file less in need
> of cleansing, it'll probably still need to be run after dispel's.
> Im probably also going to have cross grimoire depends working to
> a reasonable extent, and some options to recast installed
> depends/dependee's.

I'm testing the prelink stuff now. My system was able to reboot afterwards, so
that's all good. Now I'm doing a `sorcery rebuild` with "-DPIC -fPIC" in
CFLAGS
and test Sorcery.

> All this stuff should be working and ready to go for the 1.11 release
> a while from now.

Do we have any rough timeline for that?

> -Andrew

-sandalle