sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery Plans

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery Plans
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:45:41 -0700

Welcome back to the Internet!

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:15:50PM -0700, Andrew wrote:
> I apologize for my complete absense from the mailing lists the past two
> weeks, my isp blatently disconnected me and i've just now been able to
> get back online. Here's just an update to whats going on with sorcery
> right now:

Great news. :)

> So right now I'm planning on getting a 1.10.1 stable release out. The
> main things that are fixed are some stability related things and
> bugs/complaints that have cropped up, as well as removing the temporary
> hack which all you all loved /so/ much, hopefully everyone's gotten a
> chance to cleanse their depends tree and cast isn't bailing out for no
> apparent reason, in otherwords you're on your own in terms of keeping
> your systems dependency tree clean (more on this later)...
>
> Right now we've got a release candidate in the test sorcery branch. If
> you're on stable the easiest thing to do is change your sorcery branch
> to devel, update, then change it again to test. I'd like to get that
> release out by the end of the week. It would help a lot towards its
> stability if we can get as many willing people to sanity check test so
> we can have a more rock solid stable.

Might be able to try it on my laptop.

> The current plan is to keep rolling out 1.10 releases and release
> candidates as bugs are discovered. After some amount of time we'll push
> those changes into a sorcery 1.10.x release. At the same time we'll
> keep developing new features for devel.
>
> The current set of major new work going into devel is:
> alter (yay swoolley!), alter will let you prelink/strip spells installed
> on your system, amoung other cool things.

Hope the code's not too shabby. :)

> dufflebunk is re-writing some of the sorry old cast --fix code
> Ive got some code to only commit depends info to /var/state/sorcery/depends
> on spell success which should hopefully keep that file less in need
> of cleansing, it'll probably still need to be run after dispel's.
> Im probably also going to have cross grimoire depends working to
> a reasonable extent, and some options to recast installed
> depends/dependee's.

All your work is much appreciated. Glad you guys deal with the hairy
stuff, and not me. ;)

> All this stuff should be working and ready to go for the 1.11 release
> a while from now.

Have a timeline for it, or "when it's ready"? ;)

Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8 3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEF10E21A
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org