sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Spam Proofing . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • Cc: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Spam Proofing . . .
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 06:39:57 -0400

I happen to agree (sigh). But posting them like we do is akin to drawing targets on our backs, kinda stupid...
What I'm more annoyed with is not spam, it's "non-delivery" receipts from addresses to which various viruses send mail under my name :-(. And no (in case anyone's wondering), I don't have a virus on any of my computers.

Sergey.

Seth Alan Woolley wrote:

This whole discussion sounds like security by obscurity. The fact is,
they're already in a database somewhere and somehow it will get let
loose on the spammer community. Proper client-side spam filtering is
the only method I know of that actually works. Believe me, I've tried
keeping email addresses secret, but the first person to put it in a
website even with obfuscation and the game's over. I'm willing to bet
our tar gzipped files are already toast -- scanned by a spammer. They
wouldn't need to untar, just unbzip2.