sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New url handler

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <dossen+sgl AT daimi.au.dk>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New url handler
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:04:23 +0200

On 11/06/04 14.12, Maurizio Boriani wrote:
> [...]
[snip]
> Vladimír> Hmm, maybe url handler could somehow alter dependencies
> Vladimír> ? I can't imagine this to be true, afrayedknot knows url
> Vladimír> handlers, since he modified them few days ago.
>
> arch is necessary if you need to cast a spell which get sources from this
> kind
> of archive... so... yes a spell which use the url_tla should depend from tla
> too. (misunderstood your question in previus email, sorry)

Just butting in here: Maybe url-handlers should be able to declare
their dependencies (either spells or providers), which would be
checked for before trying to download, and if missing the sysadmin
could be asked if sorcery should go ahead and cast the spell,
otherwise summon would fail on that source, which the rest of sorcery
should already be able to handle.

That way it should work with either of summon or cast, and the spells
do not need this kind of dependency (which might be cast too late
anyway). This also applies to spells where optional parts or alternate
sources can come from an url scheme not supported by the basesystem.

/dossen
--
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
-- Albert Einstein