sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] acpi, sleep

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <a_bouter AT ezrs.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] acpi, sleep
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:17:14 +0200

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:52:53 +0200
Bas van Gils <Bas.vanGils AT cs.kun.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I decided to play a little with ACPI today. I read several docs on the web
> about it... but I can't seem to get it right. Here's what I did:
>
> - recompile 2.6.6 kernel with acpi and the acpi patch
> - cast acpid
>
> After reboot, acpi seems to work fine... At least, I think so:
>
> root@gaspode:~# cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state
> present: yes
> capacity state: ok
> charging state: charged
> present rate: 0 mA
> remaining capacity: 6450 mAh
> present voltage: 11100 mV
>
> root@gaspode:~# cat /proc/acpi/button/power/PWRF/info
> type: Power Button (FF)
>

> Now, what I really want is that my laptop "goes to sleep" when I hit the
> power
> button. The relevant info is:
>
> root@gaspode:~# cat /proc/acpi/sleep
> S0 S3 S4 S5
>
> I think I should modify "/etc/acpi/default.sh" in some way... but I'm not
> sure
> how. Any help is greatly appreciated...
>
> Cheers
>
> Bas

I use acpi myself to monitor the temperature and let my laptop shout at me
through flite and shut down if the temperature gets to high. I can mail you my
scripts if you want them.
I also haven't been able to get "sleep mode" to function yet. But you might
want
to look at software suspend. That will accomplish about the same thing, but
through software. And thus is less dependant on proper bios support.
the URL is:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/swsusp/

You can then link the powerbutton to software suspend through acpid.

Hope this helps,
Arjan

+=======
Proud Source Mage GNU/Linux user,
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.
http://www.sourcemage.org

Registered as user #310617 with the Linux Counter,
http://counter.li.org.
+===

--
+=======