sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Cleanse in Stable

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Cleanse in Stable
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 20:47:20 -0700

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 08:20:23PM -0700, Jason Flatt wrote:
> On Thursday 20 May 2004 12:19 pm, Andrew wrote:
> >
> > We cannot implement upgrade hooks between now and the time we'd like
> > to have the next sorcery release (and they wouldn't work until the next
> > update after that anyway). In a perfect world this would solve the
> > problem. So thus, using them to solve the cleanse issue is not feasable.
>
> Why not have an interim release that includes the hooks only? I realize
> that
> this would be a major logistics nightmare, but I was just curious.

I discussed this with Paul and its too complex of a task to accomplish
on short notice, and rather than push back the release of stable sorcery
with a number of well needed features.

> > So we're going with this temporary hacked in fix to run cleanse on the
> > first time cast is run (after the update). The hack is for this release
> > only and will be removed for the next major sorcery release.
>
> Am I right to ASSuME that the code which makes this happen is somehow
> removed
> after the first cast/cleanse run or will it just keep checking for some new
> variable stored in one of the config files?

It will touch some file and then check for its existance. Then future
versions of sorcery will have that stuff removed.