sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Cleanse in Stable

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Cleanse in Stable
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 12:19:55 -0700

I'll recap just so we all know the issues:

We need everyone to run cleanse after we release sorcery with full depends.

We cannot guarantee that everyone will and so we are doing this so we
dont have a bunch of unhappy smgl'ers who didnt get the memo and now
can't cast anything.

Sorcery upgrade and system-update internally only run code from the
old sorcery, they do no jumping to new code with the notable except of
running cast/scribe. So in order to make the upgrade run other 'stuff'
we need the aforementioned post upgrade hooking system.

We cannot implement upgrade hooks between now and the time we'd like
to have the next sorcery release (and they wouldn't work until the next
update after that anyway). In a perfect world this would solve the
problem. So thus, using them to solve the cleanse issue is not feasable.

So we're going with this temporary hacked in fix to run cleanse on the
first time cast is run (after the update). The hack is for this release
only and will be removed for the next major sorcery release.

-Andrew