sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Domain is parked?!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Domain is parked?!
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:16:15 -0700

> This should be corrected ASAP, however, but I'm not exactly sure who needs
> be contacted.
>
> http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=sourcemage.org&type=domain

Based on an informal attempt at poking the dns system through my box, we have
the following nameservers under the sourcemage.org whois listing:
Name Server:NS2.UNC.EDU
Name Server:NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM
Name Server:NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM
Name Server:NS3.MYDOMAIN.COM
Name Server:NS4.MYDOMAIN.COM
Name Server:NS.UNC.EDU

which resolve to the following ip addresses:
NS2.UNC.EDU A 152.2.253.100
NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM A 64.94.117.195
NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM A 216.52.121.228
NS3.MYDOMAIN.COM A 66.150.161.130
NS4.MYDOMAIN.COM A 63.251.83.74
NS.UNC.EDU A 152.2.21.1

Interestingly enough if you use any of the 'mydomain.com' nameservers as
your single and sole nameserver in /etc/resolve.conf everything outside
of mydomain.com seems to point straight at 66.150.161.148:

(with 64.94.117.195 as my only nameserver)
afrayedknot@thefrayedknot:~$ host NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM
NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM A 64.94.117.195
afrayedknot@thefrayedknot:~$ host google.com
google.com A 66.150.161.148
afrayedknot@thefrayedknot:~$ host yahoo.com
yahoo.com A 66.150.161.148
afrayedknot@thefrayedknot:~$ host sourcemage.org
sourcemage.org A 66.150.161.148

How amusing. Where is my lead pipe.

This has probably been this way for a while, its just due to the
distributed nature of DNS and the fact that we are spread out over the
globe amoungst different ISP's and DNS servers that it took a while for
this to happen.

So I point at mydomain.com.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |