sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO ppp and pppoe connections

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO ppp and pppoe connections
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 15:51:26 +0200

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:44:55PM +1000, Hamish Greig wrote:

> Apologies in advance for asking this stupid question.
> Does our network initscript handle ppp or adsl/pppoe connections ? or is it
> only for ethernet ?
> If not, could ppp (dialup) and rp-pppoe users please tell me if they use a
> different script to bring up their network, or if they have to do it
> manually, what command they use.
> Also I find minicom hasn't been included on the ISO for some time, is it no
> longer needed, should it be replaced by wvdial or something else ? (over 2
> years since I dealt with a ppp modem connection)
> I know it must seem like I am being lazy here, but as I don't actually have
> either types of hardware to test this on I don't have much chance to test
> experiment and learn in my usual fashion.

I'm not sure if our network scripts can handle pppoe, i use a custom
script for that (attached) using rp-pppoe.
Manual start of pppoe network with rp-pppoe is done with 'adsl-start'
after configuring it with 'adsl-setup'.

http://www.sourcemage.org
#!/bin/sh

RUNLEVEL=3

. /etc/init.d/smgl_init

case $1 in
start) echo "Starting adsl."
(
unset -f echo
/usr/sbin/adsl-start > /dev/null 2>&1
)
evaluate_retval
;;

stop) echo "Stopping adsl."
/usr/sbin/adsl-stop > /dev/null 2>&1
evaluate_retval
;;

restart) $0 stop &&
$0 start
;;

status) /usr/sbin/adsl-status
;;
*) echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
;;
esac