sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] requests for spells on ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] requests for spells on ISO
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:44:38 -0800

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 8:12 pm, Hamish Greig wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:23, Eric Sandall wrote:
> > > perl:5.8.3 <- (arguable)
> >
> > Does anything needed on the ISO require perl?
>
> ...[snip]
>
> > the kernel (linux) uses perl for some of it's parsing in makefiles. not
> > sure what glibc uses it for, but those are the only two "required"
> > packages I see that depend on perl (besides basesystem, but that's just a
> > meta-spell).
>
> nothing /uses/ perl but it is needed to compile glibc or a kernel. if it
> was moved out of "must have" it would still be installed for cast linux.
> So, thinking everyone would end up with it installed anyway, I left it in
> "must have" list.
> I don't mind where it is, there will be a cache of it available, if people
> want it out of the default list that is fine.

In the 0.9.2 ISO install I did, I needed to compile the kernel to get my
network card working correctly, so I'd say this is a 'must have'.

> ...[snip]...
>
> > > netconf:1.3 <- (arguable)
> >
> > Would this be optional if the chose to start their network right then
> > (say for an nfs install)?
>
> netconf exists in the iso_root, the installer no longer chroot's to call
> netconf and I have added a query to start the network interface immediately
> after it is configured.
> I still think it is a good idea to install it so users can remanipulate
> their interfaces easily after installation (and it is a single file) but I
> know some purists want a bare minimum, rock-bottom, no frills install, and
> they might view netconf as a frill.

I'd like to petition for keeping it in 'must have'. Strictly speaking, it's
probably not a 'must have', but it sure makes life a lot simpler, and I like
having it available.

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)