sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO size and locale availability

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO size and locale availability
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:54:50 +1000

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:17, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>:
> > On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:52, Eric Sandall wrote:
> > > Well, since the user theoretically has to recompile glibc anyways they
> > > could /then/ choose their locale (unless it's one of the few kept
> > > ones). And I personally think our installer need only en_US (since
> > > that's our "default" language for documentation ;)) until we actually
> > > have translations that can use the locales.
> > >
> > > -sandalle
> >
> > the cache of glibc that gets installed to hard-disk will have all the
> > locale
> >
> > data and all the locales will stull be setup in the locale.archive. No
> > recompile will be needed once booted into the new system.
> > This is only for the iso_root that runs the installer.
> >
> > When someone submits a translation of the installer and the install.guide
> > that
> > language would then become available during install.
>
> Oh, I thought we were getting rid of the separate environments and just
> have the installer copy the system over/use the archives. Or am I confused?
>
> -sandalle

you might be confused.
I don't know.
previously the iso_root had a full install of glibc, all the locale data in
iso_root and a locale.archive file in the iso_root that was ~20MB.
Because sorcery and the installer is in english, for the last release I
remade
the local.archive with only some en_* locales, but left all the data files
still in the iso_root.
Now, unless anyone objects, or explains why they want to have their LANG
available in the iso_root (installer is still english so this would only be
useful for running live or in a shell from the installer) then we can save
considerable space, allowing for more optional packages to be selectable, but
keeping under the magic 215MB size limit of a mini disc (is this size
wrong ?)
in case you're confused by the actual removal of the image.tar.bz2 and
restructuring of the installer heres a brief summary

iso_root will no longer have the image.tar.bz2, instead installation will be
done by copying some key files that sorcery doesn't track, then untarring the
caches from /var/cache/sorcery.
you get to choose what gets installed, and you can recover your system by
unpacking the one problem spell if you need too.
Say you choose jed for editor, only jed gets installed, not elvis and nano as
well and same with fs and networking spells. fs spells are installed
depending on the types found in the fstab and networking spells are installed
in the reverse of how they were dispelled before.
then AFTER running all those queries you can look at the list of optional
spells and choose none, one or all of them.
Then last thing, install them all to the harddisk.
The idea is to get the absolute minimum default install, by using
user-chosen/installer variables, but still offer a kitchen sink install for
anyone who wants it.