sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Improved API for query and store config information

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Improved API for query and store config information
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:55:14 -0800

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 09:14:36AM -0500, Paul wrote:
> The reason triggers are done the way they are is because they are a last
> resort. They cannot be ordered with the rest of the spells in libdepends
> because they are all special cases. If they were put in with the others,
> you'd start getting cycles and which would be broken and the order would
> be wrong. What is the compelling need to complicate the life of
> libdepends? It's complex enough as it is...

<snip>
> > foo : bar baz
> > cast -c foo
> > cast -c spell_that_foo_triggered
one doesn't need to make a rule for 'spell_that_foo_triggered', just
put the command to deal with it after the action that makes foo, then
if cast -c foo fails, then its triggers are automatically avoided.

make isn't smart enough to notice spell_that_foo_triggered is actually
another spell target like all the other rules unless we specifically
say so.

maybe im missing something, *shrug*

I still like the idea of asking about triggers _before_ casting starts,
regardless of which way we implement them.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt AT sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot AT t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl, Porting Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |