sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Security Team and section

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Security Team and section
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:22:27 -0800

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 04:04:48PM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I propose that we have the Security Team also manage the "security" section
> for
> two reasons:
> 1) They probably use the security tools the most (since they're probably
> interested in security) and so are aware of updates, problems, etc. with
> them.
> 2) We could then assign bugs from the security section to
> security AT sourcemage.org, since that e-mail is currently for the Security
> Team.
> ;)

Sounds fine to me. As a reminder, also, anybody willing to help out on
the security is more than welcome. I'm more busy now with work that I'd
really like assistants. I've fallen behind on keeping things patched
more than I would like. Often the section guru has beaten me to it. ;)
Also, anybody willing to work on more proactive security like grsec/acl
stuff, securing up default configs (chrooting/nonroot/etc) and making
configuration scripts for many of the server spells, please jump on
board. The Security Team is a good place to learn; you don't have to be
an expert by any means. We're approaching 1.0 release and the publicity
might mean if you get in on the ground running (helping out) now, you'll
be higher than all the newcomers on seniority and can boss them around ;).

Remember, it looks great on a resume.

Seth
Security Team Leader