sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New sorcery script

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Geoffrey Derber <gderber AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • Cc: SourceMage GNU/Linux Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New sorcery script
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:54:49 -0600

Andrew wrote:
spells. I?d think that a good name for your new script will be conterspell
but the word is
too long. If anybody has a similar idea or a way to make it short.

Along with cleanse, I've been wandering through the dictionary and came
up with 'exorcize', 'expel', and 'banish'.

Since this seems to be going to the lists as much as dufflebunk, I thought I'd send my ideas to the list too. Andrew, you aren't the only one who thought of "cleanse".

My comments to dufflebunk:

A couple ideas:
clæne (Old English clean), for our purposes claene would work
clænsian (Old English cleanse), for our purposes cleansian work work

It appears that in Old English, clean was the adj, while cleanse was the verb.[0]

Middle English purifien, from Old French purifier, from Latin purificare : purus (Archaic forms of purify)

I also thought of 'refine' but apparently that does not have an archaic form.[1]

Geoff

[0]http://www.etymonline.com/c5etym.htm
'clean - O.E. clæne "clean, pure," from W.Gmc. *klainoz "clear, pure," from PIE base *gel- "to gleam." As an adj., replaced in higher senses by clear, pure, but as a verb (c.1450) it has largely usurped what once belonged to cleanse (from O.E. clænsian), which, despite its modern spelling (16c.) retains its M.E. pronunciation. Clean in the sense of "innocent" is from c.1300; that of "not lewd" is from 1867; that of "free of drug addiction" is 1950s. Clean up "make a large profit" is from 1929. To take (someone) to the cleaners "get all of (someone's) money" is from 1932.'
[1]http://www.etymonline.com/r3etym.htm
"refine - 1582, of metals and of character, from re-, intensive prefix + fine (v.) "make fine." Refinery is first recorded 1727."