sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 2.6 issues

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 2.6 issues
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 02:06:04 +0100

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 07:39:05PM -0500, Michael Taylor wrote:
> Here are my suggestions of what needs decided before we go to 2.6:
>
> 1. What to do about obsolete devfs vs. immature udev, if anything
Stick to devfs for now, i've got a setup that uses only udev, but it
still has quite some quirks.
> 2. Migration tool or wiki page (add /sys and /udev, fstab entries, build
> module-init-tools, make a sane default config for 2.6)
/sys and /udev aren't needed, they're purely optional
> 3. How to maintain the kernel headers in the long run
The current fixed headers are quite good so far, and we don't need to
maintain them ourselves, except for small changes like replacing #error
with #warning