sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] linux 2.6 headers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] linux 2.6 headers
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:34:21 +0100

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 09:45:23PM +1100, Hamish Greig wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:06, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:51:25AM +0100, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > there's a set of sanitized linux 2.6 headers at [1].
> > > They replaced quite some kernel internal stuff by the corresponding libc
> > > header to make them more usable. The mail to the lkml [2] says they were
> > > used to compile a whole distribution.
> > >
> > > I think it could be a good idea to use those headers and join efforts of
> > > fixing them instead of maintaining our own set of fixed headers.
> > > A changed glibc-kernel-headers spell that uses them is attached, so far
> > > i've rebuilt e2fsprogs, ffmpeg and avifile without applying the 2.6
> > > fixes in those spells. util-linux and sysklogd still need to be patched
> > > by using either our or their [3] patches.
> > >
> > > [1] http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/glibc-kernel-headers/
> > > [2] http://www.google.com/groups?selm=1he4z-7VG-9%40gated-at.bofh.it
> > > [3] http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/glibc-kernel-headers/patches/
> >
> > Two failures that also fail with our headers, but in a different way:
> > dosfstools and lvm
>
> Although I am the author of it, I have no wish to continue maintaining the
> glibc-kernel-headers spell. It was something I saw as necessary so spent
> some
> time to do it, but would be grateful if someone would continue Arwed's and
> my work, allowing us/me to focus on the many other projects I/we have
> concurrently running.

Ok, dosfstools was one missing define that i'll forward as bug to the
developers of this kernel header package, lvm actually compiled after i
changed the glibc-kernel-headers spell to install the files readable :)

So far i'm very happy with those fixed headers, they require much less
patching than ours, so if no one objects i'll put them in devel and test
soon.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video