sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] linux 2.6 headers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] linux 2.6 headers
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:45:23 +1100

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:06, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:51:25AM +0100, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there's a set of sanitized linux 2.6 headers at [1].
> > They replaced quite some kernel internal stuff by the corresponding libc
> > header to make them more usable. The mail to the lkml [2] says they were
> > used to compile a whole distribution.
> >
> > I think it could be a good idea to use those headers and join efforts of
> > fixing them instead of maintaining our own set of fixed headers.
> > A changed glibc-kernel-headers spell that uses them is attached, so far
> > i've rebuilt e2fsprogs, ffmpeg and avifile without applying the 2.6
> > fixes in those spells. util-linux and sysklogd still need to be patched
> > by using either our or their [3] patches.
> >
> > [1] http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/glibc-kernel-headers/
> > [2] http://www.google.com/groups?selm=1he4z-7VG-9%40gated-at.bofh.it
> > [3] http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/glibc-kernel-headers/patches/
>
> Two failures that also fail with our headers, but in a different way:
> dosfstools and lvm

Although I am the author of it, I have no wish to continue maintaining the
glibc-kernel-headers spell. It was something I saw as necessary so spent some
time to do it, but would be grateful if someone would continue Arwed's and
my work, allowing us/me to focus on the many other projects I/we have
concurrently running.

Hamish
--
IRC nick: drmoriarty