sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Functional "theme" instead of cosmetic

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Jaanus Heeringson <jaanus AT heeringson.com>
  • Cc: SourceMage GNU/Linux Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Functional "theme" instead of cosmetic
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:37:03 -0600 (CST)

This is entirely possibly just as spells. I recently upgraded all of our
Linux desktops to (a perverted version of) SourceMage. The installation
process went something like this:

1) install from iso (configure net and hostname)
2) scribe add mycustomgrimoire
4) sorcery system-update
5) cast workstation (from mycustomgrimoire)

workstation was a "metaspell" just like the gnome/kde profile spells. It
depended on a number of other spells, some of which were more "metaspells"
that had POST_INSTALL's to copy configuration files in after its
dependencies (the real spells) were installed.

In addition I have 2 other top level "metaspells" for desktops: laptop,
standalone. Each have some small differences, but all depend on a common
desktop metaspell which depends on all the standard requirements for our
desktop machines (xfree, icewm, openoffice, mozilla, java, cups, etc).

Instead of desktop directly depending on icewm, it had a dependency on
myicewm (the names were actually based on our company initials not the
stupid my prefix). myicewm depended on icewm and copied custom icewm
configuration files from the spell directory into /etc/icewm. There were
other spells that did this as well (cups, wdm, rox, etc).

Our printers were even handled this way. All the desktop machines had cups
installed (because the desktop spell depended on it), but the printers
were different on many of the machines, but not always (for networked
printers). So, one spell got created for each possible printer that could
be hooked directly to a machine, and one for each network printer. Casting
'lj8550gn' for example would automatically add the LaserJet 8550 GN to
cups.

On top of *all* of this (here comes the perversion part), I actually used
a single machine as a "reference" machine which built all the spells used
and created a custom binary grimoire for all the spells used. I wouldn't
recommend the binary approach quite yet, it is, and still proving to be a
pain right now.

Anyway, this is kind of a long-winded response, but I believe the current
system is capable of this. Anyone could create a grimoire with spells like
this (webserver, ftpserver, mailserver, etc) which simply depended on the
spells it needed and did the configuration in POST_INSTALL.

-casey