sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Functional "theme" instead of cosmetic

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaanus Heeringson <jaanus AT heeringson.com>
  • To: SourceMage GNU/Linux Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Functional "theme" instead of cosmetic
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 03:28:37 +0100

While I find the notion of theming SMGL to SF or Fantasy related concepts
refreshing, there are in my opinion other things that could be done in the
functional aspect of the distro.

I will soon be running a specialized hosting service with a couple of racked
computers in a co-location facility(yes, I might have capacity for
SMGL-stuff), and I'm currently underway of settings up the servers. What I
really would like to see is a second level of abstraction for in my case
installing single or multiple task servers, like:

[name of command] webserver
[name of command] mailserver
[name of command] dns
etc.

I don't just mean spells like the kde or gnome2 profile ones, but something
more integrated that not just installs the various spells, but also
integrates them into a working environment. What I'm basically looking for is
a "recommended/preconfigured setup" concept. Choice is good, but it can also
get tedious, cumbersome and repetitive .

As you might suspect I'm mostly used to running SMGL in a hedless
environment... I actually have no idea what the majority of you use SMGL for,
but I find this distro to be exellent for server puposes.

--
MVH

Jaanus Heeringson

Underwerks Design