sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] update on install

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "S. Barret Dolph" <wheds8 AT ms66.hinet.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] update on install
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 02:30:38 +0800

Yes, the below was a typo. I do have Lilo up and going I think i was just too
tired and tried to do too many things at the same time. (I am trying to get
Mac-On-Linux going on my iBook. Ydl is ok. just ok. That is why I have hopes
I can figure out SM)

Anyhow, I am not quite installed. Lilo is fine but just before the Login
prompt I get ds: no socket dirivers loaded!
pcmcia: Loading pcmcia modules:pcmcia_core.
pcmcia: failure

Also, after loading the scsci stuff, finding the cd etc....
I see a message that reads devfs already mounted or dev/ busy
I don't know if that is anything but I am one of those strange people who
usually reads all that stuff after turning on my computer.

Furthermore, when trying to set up networking from the installation menu
I selected the ADSL option which calls for installing the rp-ppoe. When cast
it I get

cast rp-pppoe
/usr/sbin/pppd: in file /etc/ppp/peers/isp = unregnized option 'dev modem'

As per a post on the forum I checked etc/ppp/peers/isp where it says to
change
dev modem to /dev/modem

it is already /dev/modem

n Wednesday 21 January 2004 23:28, you wrote:

> I just realised I sent this to you only, instead of me resending to the
> list about this, could you please just reply to your own post stating if it
> was a typo and how you did finally manage to get SMGL installed ?
> Thanks
> Hamish
>
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 01:14, Hamish Greig wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 01:03, S. Barret Dolph wrote:
> > > /dev/scsi has
> > > dev/scsi/hostO/targetO/lunP/+disc, part 1,2,5,6,7
> > > dev/scsi/host1/targetO/lunP/+c
> >
> > you do know that is /dev/scsi/host-zero/target-zero/lun-zero/* ? :)
> > I see you writing Uppercase "O" not 0(zero) here, is that a typo or the
> > reason you have no such file or directory ?
> > and is that listing from within the installer after loading the seagate
> > module or from another linux system ?
> > if within the installer you can use them by either mounting manually or
> > symlinking to /dev/discs/
> > if listed from another linux system and the installer still doesn't show
> > them then verify (lsmod or dmesg or syslog) that you are trying to use
> > the right kernel module.
> >
> > Hamish
>
> - --
> IRC nick: drmoriarty

  • [SM-Discuss] update on install, S. Barret Dolph, 01/21/2004