sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Install directory policy

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: shivaken <shivaken AT jcom.home.ne.jp>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Install directory policy
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:26:55 +0100

On Sunday 18 January 2004 07:28, Hamish Greig wrote:
> some packages don't honour --mandir so what we now do is make /usr/man a
> symlink to /usr/share/man which saves us having to manually hack configure
> or makefiles on a per spell basis. WE do the same for /usr/doc
> and /usr/share/doc also.

Ok, I see. It saves our time and resources.

> for sysconfdir, I have three suggestions.
> a) file a bug and we can debate alternatives in the bugs comments
> b) become a guru yourself and discuss this with the other gurus. Finding
> out what spells need doing and whether section gurus can integrate this
> change into regular maintenance of the spell.
> c) become a guru yourself and make it your first task. Correct all the
> spells in devel that need correcting AND then test cast each one AND then
> check it works correctly without manual hacking of config files or even
> sources to use a non-standard location for the configs.
>
> The last suggestion is only an available as an option if majority of
> gurus/devels agree it should be done.

Directory policy is the most important thing.
If I want to change some spell's sysconfdir,
it will be personal preference without policy.
If change sysconfdir, some confusion will be happen.

So, establish the installing directory policy 1st, then start the work.

I will work.

regards,

--
--- shivaken