sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New nptl spell (for test)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New nptl spell (for test)
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:34:52 -0800

Quoting Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>:
> Sorry, I know I already replied but I thought I should clarify one point.
> It should be noted, nptl uses futexes (fast userspace mutexes), which are
> only
> available in 2.6.X kernels (or redhat backported 2.4.X kernels). So testing
> nptl is only possible for 2.6.X kernel users, and you must have chosen them
> in the kernel config.
> grep FUTEX /etc/sorcery/local/kernel.config
> CONFIG_FUTEX=y
> The spell I have been working on offers it as a choice only if $(uname -r)
> ==
>
> 2.6.* .
> I have had luck installing it directly into a running system, I am just
> finetuning the spell for reversion to the released 2.3.2 (if ever wanted).
> For nptl a snapshot of glibc cvs from 2003-12-03 is used, but for sorcery
> purposes it is called 2.3.3 (glibc devel's have already changed the version
> in the sources).
> A day or two and it will be available in devel, a few good reports and I
> will
>
> integrate it into test.
> Hamish

I have two machines already using 2.6 as their main kernel, so I'll be willing
to test NPTL on those two machines once it gets to devel. I'll have to check
and make sure I turned on futexes, not sure if I did or not.

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61