sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] low spec hardware

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jose Bernardo Silva" <jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com>
  • To: "sm-discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] low spec hardware
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:34:01 +0000

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 08:45:49 +0100, Treeve Jelbert wrote

> I have an old notebook (P-133, 32 MB, 850MB disk) which I thought
> had a dead screen, but it has just revived after a long period of disuse.
>
> At the moment it has some win95 stuff, but needs updating.
>
> Could I usefully install Linux on it instead, and if so, which
> applications
> (e.g. browser, email, word processor / spread sheet?

Treeve,

You can always go for one of the embedded interfaces (Opie, PicoLinux, etc.),
and use that laptop as if it were a PDA. Opie has lightweight wordprocessor,
spreadshet, etc. I don't know much about the others. I am thinking of adding
opie spells to sourcemage when I have some free time, but that might be a
little away yet... :)

---
Jose Bernardo B R Silva | Source Mage GNU/Linux Section Guru
jbernardo AT sourcemage.org | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://counter.li.org #245602
http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/jose.bernardo
jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com