sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] low spec hardware

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Wolfgang Scheicher <worf AT sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>
  • To: "sm-discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] low spec hardware
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:23:09 +0100

On Saturday 15 November 2003 08:45, Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> I have an old notebook (P-133, 32 MB, 850MB disk) [...]
> Could I usefully install Linux on it instead, and if so, which applications
> (e.g. browser, email, word processor / spread sheet?

I'd say: lynx, mutt, pine, vi, ...

Until recently i had a P200 with the same apps like the box i usually work on
( kde 3.1.4, koffice, ... ) and it was acceptable, but that P200 had 3x more
ram and more disk space.

Of course you can try some lightweight Windowmanager and some graphical
browsers, word processor,... maybe eaven kde, because kde is imho not that
bad on low end hardware (it starts slowly, but once running it's usable).

But if you'r really plan to use that notebook for working on, i'd try to do
it
without x.

Worf