sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Mozilla, mozilla, mozilla

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: evraire AT tuwg.com
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Mozilla, mozilla, mozilla
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:19:01 -0000

Hey everyone,
I'm currently a user of the Mozilla Firebird browser and am quite enjoying
it! Of course, that doesn't stop me from wanting to try out other
mozilla-based browsers from time-to-time to see if they better reflect my
needs. I've played with Mozilla (full-blown), Galeon2 and now Firebird, and
now I'm interested in Epiphany (the new default Gnome browser).
Unfortunately, galeon2 and epiphany both depend on mozilla, which conflicts
with Firebird.

My question is this: couldn't MOZILLA be made a provides? Then couldn't
the mozilla, mozilla-nightly and Firebird spells provide MOZILLA?

I know Galeon2 is pretty finicky about the version of Mozilla it's compiled
against, and maybe so is Epiphany. On the other hand, wasn't the Gecko
engine designed to be modular for this very purpose? Ideally I'd like one
copy of the mozilla libraries on my system and the ability to cast the
different browsers and try them out, without having to dispel my current
browser first. (It was a real bitch when Firebird wouldn't compile and I no
longer had Mozilla.)

Anyway, I'm not versed enough in the world of Mozilla to understand what's
going on, which is why I'm bringing it up for discussion. What do you think?
Can it be made to work?

Jonathan Evraire
evraire at tuwg.com

Message sent via Toad-One
Anti-spam notice, this message originated from IP Address: 66.131.185.248