sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Slow bootup when uncompressing kernel

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Slow bootup when uncompressing kernel
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:16:11 +1200

Can someone help me with grub?

I've installed it. My grub.conf file is below.

My partitions are:
hda1 > /boot ext3
hda2 > / <---root for sourcemage 1
hda3 > /home
hda5 > / <---root for testing sourcemage
hda6 > swap

When I run "/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda" I get :

"Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
/dev/hda does not have any corresponding BIOS drive."

and when I reboot I get lilo so I'm guessing it's not installing grub.

/boot/grub/grub.conf:

# The grub spell attempts to create a sensible skeletin file which you
# can edit to create a working menu.lst file. Use this as a guide, but
# be sure to look over any drive/partition specifications [ things that
# look like (hd0,0) for example ] and root= entries, as the autodetection
# mechannism isn't perfect. In cases where there is more than one
# partition containing the files grub searches for, the first match is
# assumed. If you multi-boot linux from multiple, different partitions
# there is a chance it detected the wrong partition, so you need to
# manually check and edit this accordingly.

boot=(hd0,0)

# defaults to the first menu entry
default 0

# timeout in 10 seconds in no choice is made
timeout 10

# uncomment the next line if you wish to use LBA (usual for large IDE
drives)
lba32

# defines menu foreground/background, highlight foreground/background
color black/light-gray white/red

# be sure and check the kernel entry below, particulary the entry.
Possible partitions detected were , of
# which the first was assumed arbitrarilly.
# as well as the root= entry. You may also wish to add additional
arguments,
# such as ide-scsi= if you're using an IDE CDROM burner.

title Sourcemage
~ root (hd0,0)
~ kernel /linux-2.4.21-hda2 ro root=/dev/hda2

title Testing
~ root (hd0,0)
~ kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21 ro root=/dev/hda5