sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Slow bootup when uncompressing kernel

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Slow bootup when uncompressing kernel
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:27:39 +1200

I made a vmlinux kernel but lilo says it too large ("Fatal: Kernel /boot/vmlinux is too big"). I am nw compiling the kernel using a 2.4.18 kernel config file from a person who has a Evo n160. I'll see if I'm missing something in the kernel.

I think it's hardware or how lilo talks to the hardware because the same image doesn't have a problem on other machines.

If this doesn't work and nothing else comes to mind, I'll give up and hang out for a new laptop.

Duane.

Seth Woolley wrote:
from /usr/src/linux/README:

- Do a "make bzImage" to create a compressed kernel image. If you want
to make a boot disk (without root filesystem or LILO), insert a floppy
in your A: drive, and do a "make bzdisk". It is also possible to do
"make install" if you have lilo installed to suit the kernel makefiles,
but you may want to check your particular lilo setup first.

To do the actual install you have to be root, but none of the normal
build should require that. Don't take the name of root in vain.

- In the unlikely event that your system cannot boot bzImage kernels you
can still compile your kernel as zImage. However, since zImage support
will be removed at some point in the future in favor of bzImage we
encourage people having problems with booting bzImage kernels to report
these, with detailed hardware configuration information, to the
linux-kernel mailing list and to H. Peter Anvin <hpa+linux AT zytor.com>.

make vmlinux for uncompressed
make zImage for gzip
make bzImage for bzip2

copy it into /boot from eiher . or ./arch/${ARCH}/boot/, setup lilo, away
you go.

vmlinux should be in /usr/src/linux/vmlinux even with our own linux spell
that does bzipping by default for i386.

Just cast it, and cp /usr/src/linux/vmlinux /boot and then point lilo to
it and run lilo. See if that makes bootup a lot faster?

Seth