sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Slow bootup when uncompressing kernel

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Slow bootup when uncompressing kernel
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:02:41 +1200

Hamish Greig wrote:
> - From "man lilo" but whether it can cause slow boot as well as the hang you
> would need to find out.
> nobd Suppresses the BIOS data check. This option is reserved for use
> with non-IBM-compliant BIOS's which hang with the lines:

> BIOS data check
>
> Hamish
The problem isn't after the "BIOS data check" but during the
and it still boots but doesn't load/uncompress the kernel faster.

To add to the mix. The kernel is uncompressed faster from the Sourcemage
boot CD. I don't know why I didn't try this earlier. I think I noticed
an "initrd" which I have been thinking about trying but am not sure how
it works or how to do it.

To me this result kind of points to lilo not knowing how to access the
disc properly. But I don't understand the boot-up process to say
anymore. What do others think??

Maybe, I'll boot from CD all the time.

Duane.