sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [Fwd:] Friday, 22 Aug - New init system in Test Grimoire!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Geoffrey Derber <gderber AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [Fwd:] Friday, 22 Aug - New init system in Test Grimoire!
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:12:17 -0500

Arwed von Merkatz wrote:

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:54:17AM -0600, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:

Hey folks,

Um...wait a minute...we were just told, in no uncertain terms, not to use
devel sorcery or devel grimoire. Now we need to use devel sorcery, with the
test grimore?

I would wait to do this till the code hits stable sorcery, but i have 60
spells that need updating and I'm waiting on another hard drive to back up
to.

So what do I do? Go to devel sorcery? I don't think so....

Bearcat

Well, you need the features in devel sorcery for the new init system ...
And we can't propagate those into stable sorcery as long as stable still
uses the old init system.

While I see both sides to this argument, I can't help but think there has got to be a better way. Unfortunately, the only idea I can think of is a stable/test/devel sorcery too and I don't think we'd want to do that. I don't even like that idea well.

I guess another solution would be to provide debugging for sorcery this week, kind of a feature freeze (if possible). Then provide a separate d/l that is just dated for this Friday, and everyone using test can use that until sorcery is ready for a stable release across all grimoires.

Geoff