sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Re: new to linux,sourcemage etc..

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Schabell <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sebastian uutela <sebastian_uutela AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Re: new to linux,sourcemage etc..
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:00:14 +0200

Sebastian,

I am posting this to our sm-discuss mailinglist, which is the first place
you need to subscribe to, all lists can be found here:

http://www.sourcemage.org/resources/lists/

Ok for the rest see below.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 04:18:59AM -0700, sebastian uutela wrote:
> Hello sir.
> I'm a complete newbie to Linux, but decided to switch from Windows for many
> good reasons. I have no previous experience on computers, not even dos,
> only MS
> Windows xp, but I'm willing to learn new things with Linux. I tried mandrake
> (bamboo), but didn't really like it, and then switched to gentoo, which was
> maybe a stupid thing to do as a person who is just starting with Linux, but
> am resolute in my attempt to learn Linux and what would be a better way to
> achieve it than take the hard way. I like the source compiling method, and
> decided to give sourcemage a try, as I'm looking for a source based distro
> that
> would suit my specific laptop setup better (than gentoo).

Sounds good, another place to hang out for immediate help with your
switch is irc:

irc.freenode.net
#sourcemage

Many nice and friendly people here helping out.

Finally see our documentation site at:

http://wiki.sourcemage.org/

Which includes all kinds of install docs, howto's and faq's.

> What I'm asking here is:
> What should I read /study in order to understand Linux in general better?

Read, use, and ask many questions. If you run Source Mage GNU/Linux you
will learn alot, believe me. One warning, if you like Linux and use
Source Mage you will never go back to another distro.

> What would be the major differences/advantages with Sourcemage/Gentoo?

Search our mailinglists for these sort of questions. Als see the
forums at:

http://forums.sourcemage.org/

Here you will also need to register to post.

> What skills would I need to be able to contribute something to Sourcemage
> project(?) or Linux community in general? Programming?
> As for now, I can only help in translating text from English to my native
> lang.
> Finnish, but if that is needed I'm more than happy to volunteer.

Translation skills you already have, documenting is another we could
use. As far as development we have spell (application) maintainers that
only need to edit text files and like compiling software to test new
version. For actual coding we work with only Bash scripting language.

> As for now, I'm looking forward to install sourcemage on my puter next
> weekend,
> and start from there.
> I understand you are busy there, but if you have spare time, I'd appreciate
> if
> you could give some answers to my questions.
> All the best from me, keep it up.

Hope this helps you out and look forward to seeing you on irc!

--
/*
* Eric D. Schabell M.Sc.