sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Compile Time Tracking Idea

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Compile Time Tracking Idea
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:59:16 +1200

I started to work on a script to merge the local smgl settings, grimoires used, the list of installed spell and the activity log in to a file. You may like to run the attached perl script and send me your profile. This file was then sent to me which I used to generate the summary page below:

http://www.esc.auckland.ac.nz/People/Students/Malcolm/sourcemage/profile_summary.html

The idea was that this would be used if the user chose the reporting smgl feature this would automatically report these statistic to a database everytime the user, say, did a scribe update or sorcery update.

I've put this on hold for a few weeks for two reasons: busy and because the Prometheus (tinderbox) reporting is very similar. Once Prometheus is established we can add this feature.

You can get an idea of the compile times with some smart parsing of the activity log.

Duane

David Kowis wrote:

This struck me while I was installing j2sdk on one of my b0x3n.
Could sorcery track how long it takes to install/compile programs?
I did 'time cast -c j2sdk' just because I wanted to know how long it would
take,
then the blood in my caffeenstream decided that it might be a cool thing if on
the Source Mage web page one could find out how long it takes to compile a
program. It could be tracked and submitted automatically, via cast itself when
it runs. Or perhaps a better idea would be to create a SM-stats package with a
couple of scripts and a crontab to import so that the stats are automagically
submitted. I don't know a whole lot about bash scripts (I'm more into Java)
but
I think this could be done. It doesn't take up much resources, if sorcery can
use the time command, that is. I don't pretend to know how to parse the output
of the time command into something else, at least not from bash, so this is
more
of a suggestion to anyone that feels like taking it on. I also don't know how
hard it would be to add to the current sorcery suite of scripts. If it's too
difficult, then let it go. It's not a big deal, I just thought it would be
pretty cool/handy to go to the web page and look up how long it usually takes
for
an Athlon XP 2300+ to compile XFree86.
I hope I haven't made anyone's head explode through the reading of this. :)

find ~your -name '*base* | xargs chown :us